Conclusion

In a recent New York Times OP/ED piece, David Brooks says “People are anxious about fragmentation and longing for cohesion.” I believe this is also true to in higher education. I also believe that librarians and instructional technologists are now working in closer collaboration with the faculty because the new technologies, courseware management systems and electronic information demand it. Perhaps the technology will drive us toward cohesion many of us have sought during our careers.

Several years ago, a Biology Faculty member at Mount Holyoke said to me “Sandy Ward is the glue that holds the sciences together.” Sandy was the science librarian. I felt then that that was just about the nicest thing a faculty member could say about a librarian. Now, I would like to hear the faculty members say, the instructional technologists and the librarians are the glue that hold teaching and learning together on our campuses!

No comments: